Undergraduate Degree Requirements
The course requirements for a physics degree from Mississippi State University include University, College of Arts and Sciences, and Department of Physics and Astronomy requirements. Before you will be allowed to graduate, all of these requirements must be met. A B.S. degree in Physics requires at least 124 hours with at least 248 quality points. In addition, one must maintain a C average in his/her physics courses.
The following is a list of the Arts and Sciences core course requirements that have been incorporated into the proposed curricula presented on this site. This curricula arrangement is given as a guide to assist you in planning your own course of study.
A minor in physics may be earned by satisfactory completion of twelve hours of physics at the 3000 level or above. The courses should be selected in consultation with a physics advisor.
- English Composition:
- Two three hour courses taken from EN 1103, 1163, or 1163 (one course) and EN 1113 or 1173 (one course).
- Foreign Language:
- A two course sequence (6 hours) of FL 1113 and 1123 or equivalent in one foreign language.The B.S. degree requires a 2nd semester proficiency in a foreign language. Students may fulfill the requirement through placement tests administered by the Department of Foreign Languages or by passing six
hours of a foreign language. Students are encouraged to take the foreign language placement test before enrolling in a foreign language class. See the Department of Foreign Languages for details.
- Public Speaking:
- A three hour course (CO 1003). (Air Force ROTC students may substitute AS 3013 and AS 3023.)
- Fine Arts:
- One three hour course chosen from ARC(1013, 2313, 3313, 3323), ART(1013, 1023, 1113, 3143), CO 1503, MU(1113, 2323), or PE 1323.
- Two three hour courses, one in English Literature EN(2203, 2213, 2223, 2243, 2253, 2273, 2283) and one in History HI(1063, 1073, 1083, 1163, 1173, 1183, 1213, 1223, 3813).
- Social and Behavioral Sciences:
- Two three hour courses, each from a different discipline. Courses may be chosen from AN(1103, 1143, 1343, 1543), CO(1223, 1403), EC(2113, 2123), GR(1123, 2013, 3113, 4123, 4203), PS(1113, 1313, 1513, 2713), PSY(1013, 2513, 3073), or SO(1003, 1103, 1203).
- Computer Literacy:
- One three hour course. The Physics Department suggests CSE 1233, but will also accept CSE 1213 or 1284, or BIS 1733.
- Junior/Senior Writing:
- One three hour course (e.g. GE 3513). Discuss the options with your advisor.
- Mathematics and Statistics:
- Two three hour courses. This is satisfied by the physics Department requirements to complete MA 1713, 1723, 2733, 2743,
3113, 3253, and 3353. The Physics/Pre-Medical curriculum allows substituting MA 4523 for MA 3353.
- Natural Sciences:
- Three courses, two of which must include a laboratory component. Basic courses in Chemistry CH(1211, 1213, 1221, 1223) and Physics PH(1063, 2213, 2223, 2233, 3613) easily satisfy this requirement for all physics majors.